Now in its eighth season, the contestants of House Rules really hit their straps when it came to the renovation of the home of best friends Laith and George.
The fourth renovation of the new series had the teams using dark and moody design elements for the boys’ home in Sydney’s outskirts in keeping with the first house rule of creating a “suave and sophisticated masculine home”.
House Rules from Laith & George
- Create a suave and sophisticated masculine home
- Style with deep heritage colours
- We’ll be looking for the finer details and quality craftsmanship
- Give us a VIP Lounge fit for distinguished gentlemen… like us
- Open up for family gatherings
Veri Shades® – the secret weapon
The master stroke was allowing Wynstan’s clever Veri Shades® bring a sense of light and softness as a contrast to the masculine spaces throughout the home, from Tassie twins Kimmy and Rhi’s VIP lounge design to all the bedrooms and even the entry.
With a house rule that included ‘Give us a VIP Lounge fit for distinguished gentlemen… like us’, Kimmy and Rhi created a sophisticated space for the boys in the lounge area, using the versatile Veri Shades® for the full-length windows.
The unique design of Veri Shades® provides the elegance and functionality of a blind with the privacy of a curtain, softer lines of the Veri Shades® were the perfect counterpoint to the dark custom-made cabinetry of the VIP lounge.
The boys have been described by Llewellyn-Bowen as “urban, funky, aspiring James Bond-like figures” and their bedrooms reflected that aesthetic, which included blockout roller blinds from Wynstan for light and privacy control balanced with the Veri Shades® to create just the right environment for the boys during daytime hours – as well as fulfilling the house rule of “finer details and quality craftsmanship”.
Design lessons from Laith & George’s home
- Dark colours don’t have to mean dingy interiors – use light window dressings to provide contrast
- Masculine spaces can avoid clichés – think rich textures and layering of dark tones
- Mid-century vintage pieces can add authenticity to interiors; consider searching Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace for furniture and update with new upholstery
Get the look
- Guest Bedroom – Roller Blind in Skye Swan + Veri Shade® in Mist Pure White
- Bedroom 2 – Roller Blind in Skye Swan + Veri Shade® in Mist Pure White
- Main Bedroom – Roller Blind in Skye Swan + Veri Shade® in Mist Pure White
- Study – Double roller blind in M-Screen white & Skye Swan Blockout
- Entry – Veri Shade® in Mist Pure White + Crimsafe Ultimate in Monument
- VIP – Veri Shade® in Mist Soft Grey